ASSAf established a forum of editors of national scholarly journals in 2007, and since then an annual meeting of the National Scholarly Editors’ Forum (NSEF) has been held. Approximately 100 editors of scholarly journals participate in these meetings. Click here to view the 2016 programme.
These meetings have, inter alia, had the following significant outcomes:
- A mandate was given to sustain the Forum as a consultative and advisory body managed by the Academy and suitable terms of reference for a National Scholarly Editors’ Forum were drafted and adopted
- A National Code of Best Practice in Editorial Discretion and Peer Review was drafted and adopted
- A mandate was given for the envisaged quality assurance regimen of the Academy, based on peer review of discipline-grouped titles. Plenary consultations were also held on many key topics such as copyright issues, open access conversion, open source software, and economies of scale in publishing logistics.
Presentations from the annual NSEF meetings are available below:
- Department of Higher Education and Training - Accredited Journals
- National Code of Best Practice in Editorial Discretion and Peer Review for South African Scholarly Journals
- Terms of Reference of the National Scholarly Editors’ Forum of South Africa