The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) is looking for an experienced science magazine editor to create compelling content and oversee the full scope of the editorial process of the Quest magazine from concept to publication. The successful editor will work as an independent person in liaison with the Education Liaison Officer within the Scholarly Publishing Programme at ASSAf. Advised by an Editorial Advisory Board and reporting to the Executive Officer.
Quest – Science for South Africa, is a full-colour, popular science magazine aimed specifically at Grades 10 – 12 learners taking sciences and undergraduate students. The magazine is published quarterly and distributed to selected schools in all provinces. Quest is also distributed to universities, libraries, science centres, government departments and parliamentary committees, embassies, NGOs, TVETs and resource centres. Quest started in 2004.
1. Produce four issues of the Quest magazine per annum on a quarterly basis and consists of:
- Six cover stories,
- Four features,
- Three popular news articles;,
- Three regular features
- One page of book reviews.
2. The cover stories consist between two and three pages (a minimum of 1500 words).
3. Features consist of two pages (a minimum of 1300 words).
4. News consist of a page per subject (a minimum of 500 words).
5. Regulars consist of half a page per subject (a minimum of 400 words).
6. A minimum of four book reviews.
7. The magazine will also contain a minimum of six adverts.
8. The magazine is an A4 SIZE AND consists of 44 pages including the cover.
- Solicit and write articles, features, news, regulars and book reviews for each issue.
- Copy edit the whole magazine.
- Collaborate with layout and design on technical aspects of the magazine.
- Liaise with the advertising agency.
- Final sign off of the magazine before publishing.
Produce a themed Quest magazine every quarter (April, June, September and December)
For consideration for appointment please submit the following to Ms Lynette du Plessis at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 06 August 2018:
- Brief statement of suitability (no more than half a page)
- Brief statement on approach to the task required on an annual basis (no more than 2 pages)
- Cost quote per edition of the Quest magazine.