The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) is an independent, statutory body of eminent South African scholars and scientists. It was established in terms of an Act of Parliament. Its primary objective is to generate evidence-based solutions to the problems and challenges facing South African society.
ASSAf seeks to appoint an Online Publishing Administrator in its Pretoria office.
This is a one year fixed term entry level position, in the Scholarly Publishing Programme.
Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. ASSAf is an equal opportunity employer.
The duties would include inter alia:
1) Scholarly Publishing administration
2) Administration of the SciELO SA collection
3) E-publication of SciELO SA journal issues
4) Development, maintenance and technical troubleshooting for journals in the SciELO SA collection
5) Processing metadata
6) Journal workflow administration, monitoring and statistics.
7) Journal web content development and administration
8) The successful candidate will also be involved in other scholarly publishing activities.
Minimum educational requirements:
B.Inf. B.LIS, B.Publ OR B.Tech, or a similar qualification relevant to the field of work plus relevant experience in information management or journal publishing.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Familiarity with information management practices and standards and publishing workflows.
- Familiarity with cataloguing practices and standards
- Knowledge of metadata standards
- Knowledge of web publishing and text editing, e.g. HTML, XML and / or Dreamweaver.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excel skills
- Must have a keen interest in IT.
- Exceptional attention to detail. 100% accuracy is required.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- A problem-solving mind-set and be willing to learn new things.
- Ability to work in a team on a daily basis, using shared Excel Online and / or Google Docs spreadsheets.
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively.
- All candidates who comply with the minimum requirements are invited to apply.
To apply, please submit a letter of application as well as your CV and the contact details of three referees to Ms. Kelebogile Seotloe at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 08:00 on 16 May 2022.