The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) and the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI), are seeking candidates to attend the 73rd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting dedicated to Physics from 30 June – 05 July 2024 in Lindau, Germany. About 600 highly talented young scientists worldwide will get an opportunity to interact with Nobel Laureates, attend lectures, and participate in panel discussions.
Eligible applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to their principal field of studies, i.e. in Natural sciences in relation to Physics. All nominated participants should meet the following criteria in order to participate:
- Applications are open to early-career researchers in Physics and closely related disciplines who are South African citizens and comprising of doctoral students/candidates and postdoctoral fellows. Specific qualification criteria is as follows:
(i) Doctoral students/candidates, who
- show excellent academic accomplishments, and have already produced excellent research work, e.g. documented by publications, conference presentations, and/or research wards/prizes.
(ii) Postdoctoral scientists, who
- have 2-3 years of postdoctoral experience; have published excellent results, preferably own scientific research in peer reviewed journals, preferably majority as first author, and have presented their work at international scientific meetings.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding academic accomplishments.
- Applicants should be able to communicate in English and have the desire to participate in discussions.
- Applicants should not hold a permanent position (scientists with permanent positions, in particular a professorship, will not be considered).
- Applicants should not have participated in previous Lindau meetings.
- Applicants should commit themselves to be present for the full duration of the meeting.
- Applicants must show a genuine interest and engagement in science and research.
Applications should be sent to: Tozama@assaf.org.za
Applications should be submitted with all the listed attachments at once quoting your surname and initials as follows: SITHOLE E.K Nomination for 73rd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting:
- Signed completed application form (incomplete forms will not be considered).
- Curriculum vitae with full list of publications
- Two STRONG letters of recommendation/reference from a head of department or supervisor (or a higher position). These letters of recommendation form the most important component during the evaluation stage and it is recommended to provide compelling references.
NB: Applicants are advised to submit good recommendation letters that clearly describes the candidate’s achievements not the nominating institution’s and it should point out specific accomplishments of the candidate in their scientific work or in raising public awareness.
-Further communications and guidelines will be given to the shortlisted applicants.
-Nomination does not necessarily mean attendance, as the final selection of the participants will be done by the Lindau Nobel Laureate Council and Foundation.
-For more information on the Meetings of Nobel Laureates in Lindau please visit www.lindau-nobel.org.
– South African applicants should however direct all applications to the address listed below.
-The successful candidates will receive a travel grant to attend the Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting from ASSAf which covers return air ticket, ground transport, visa costs, accommodation and meals for the participant only for the duration of the meeting.
Deadline for sending nominations is 20 October 2023.
For any queries please contact: Tozama Qwebani
Tel: +27(0)82 973 5296
The academy looks forward to receiving your nominations/applications.