The conference aims to:
- Explore the changing patterns of NCDs in the developing and developed world;
- Provide a platform for policymakers and government officials to interact with NCD scientists, international experts and representatives of IAMP member academies;
- Raise the profile of NCDs amongst policy-makers and the public and to bring the best scientific evidence to bear on the problem;
- Develop key recommendations in the form of a conference statement for submission to policymakers and stakeholders both nationally and internationally;
- Provide a platform for the showcasing of young talent in Africa researching and working in the area of NCDs through the hosting of a joint conference session for early career researchers and young investigators by the South African Young Academy of Sciences (SAYAS) with the aim of contributing to the development of skills of the postgraduate cadre and the next generation of scientists in Africa.