ASSAf, in its unique position as the only national science academy that is officially recognised by the South African government through the ASSAf Act (Act 67 of 2001), as amended, aims to provide evidence-based scientific advice on issues of public interest to government and other stakeholders.
The strategic goals of the Academy are as follows:
- Recognition and reward of excellence
- Promotion of innovation and scholarly activity
- Promotion of effective, evidence-based scientific advice
- Promotion of public interest in and awareness of science and science education
- Promotion of national, regional and international linkages