The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf), in partnership with the Department of Science and Technology (DST), is seeking candidates to participate in the 2018 Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting to be held from 24 to 29 June 2018 in Lindau, Germany. The 68th Meeting of Nobel Laureates will be dedicated to Physiology or Medicine.
The meeting will be attended by Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine and about 600 highly-talented young scientists from across the world.
Eligible applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to the fields of Physiology or Medicine, closely related disciplines or interdisciplinary work. All nominated participants should meet the following criteria in order to participate:
1. Applications are open to early-career South African citizens or permanent resident students and researchers comprising a mix of (5) Masters and doctoral students; and (5) postdoctoral students.
Specific qualifications for the Masters and doctoral students are:
(i) Masters and doctoral students, who show excellent academic accomplishments and show evidence of very good research work and/or are in medical clinical training.
(ii) Postdoctoral scientists, who have 2-3 years of postdoctoral experience and have published their own scientific research in peer-reviewed journals, preferably as first author, and have presented their work at international scientific meetings.
2. Applicants must be 35 years or younger at the time of the meeting.
3. Applicants should demonstrate outstanding academic accomplishments.
4. Applicants should be able to communicate in English, and have the desire to participate in discussions.
5. Applicants should not hold a permanent position (scientists with permanent positions, in particular a professorship, will not be considered).
6. Applicants should not have participated in previous Lindau meetings.
7. Applicants should commit themselves to be present for the full duration of the meeting.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should submit the following documents:
1. Completed application form (incomplete forms will not be considered)
2. Curriculum vitae
3. At least two letters of recommendation/reference from a head of department or supervisor (or a higher position). These letters of recommendation form the most important component during the evaluation stage and it is recommended to provide compelling references.
-Further communications and guidelines will be given to the shortlisted applicants.
-Nomination does not necessarily mean attendance, as the final selection of the participants will be done by the Lindau Nobel Laureate Council and Foundation.
-For more information on the Meetings of Nobel Laureates in Lindau please visit www.lindaunobel.org.
– South African applicants should however direct all applications to the address listed below.
-The successful candidates will receive a travel grant to attend the Lindau Nobel Laureates.
Meeting from ASSAf which covers return air ticket, ground transport, visa costs, accommodation and meals for the participant only for the duration of the meeting.
Deadline for sending nominations is 1 November 2017.
For any queries please contact:
Edith Shikumo: Tel: +27(0)12 349 6614 Email: email@example.com