Nine Members of the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) are among the Finalists in the National Science and Technology Forum (NSTF)-South32 Awards for2017/2018.
The highly-acclaimed NSTF-South 32 Awards, this year in its 20th year recognise outstanding contributions to science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation for researchers and other SET-related professionals. This includes experienced scientists, engineers, innovators, science communicators, research and engineering capacity builders, organisational managers/leaders, and research managers.
The ASSAf Members among the finalists are:
(By an individual over a lifetime – 15 years or more)
- Harvey, Prof Brian – Professor, Division of Pharmacology, Programme Leader: Centre of Excellence for Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, North-West University; Programme Leader: South African Medical Research Council Unit on Risk and Resilience, University of Cape Town.
- Owen-Smith, Prof Norman – Emeritus Research Professor, School of Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand.
- Xia, Prof Xiaohua – Professor in the Deparment of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, University of Pretoria and also in the Special Annual Theme Award category.
Towards achieving biodiversity conservation, environmental sustainability and a greener economy
(Contribution by an individual or an organisation over the last 5 to 10 years)
- Van Wilgen, Prof Brian – Professor, Centre for Invasion Biology, Deparment of Botany and Zoology, Stellenbosch University.
- Winkler, Prof Harald – Professor and Director, Energy Research Centre, University of Cape Town and also in the Special Annual Theme category.
Communication for outreach and creating awareness of SET and Innovation Award
(By a team or individual over the last 5 years)
- Medupe, Prof Thebe – Chairperson of National Astrophysics and Space Science Programme Consortium, and Professor of Physics, North-West University.
- University of Pretoria Institute for Sustainable Malaria Control – Director; and Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences; and Professor, Environmental Health, School of Health Systems and Public Health, University of Pretoria: Prof Christiaan (Tiaan) de Jager.
Special Annual Theme Award: Towards Sustainable Energy for All
(Awarded according to criteria in any of the other categories but which meet this objective)
For 2018, the award is made in recognition of the International Decade of Sustainable Energy for All as declared by the United Nations.
- Winkler, Prof Harald – Professor and Director of Energy Research Centre, University of Cape Town and also in the NSTF-GreenMatter category.
- Xia, Prof Xiaohua – Professor in the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, University of Pretoria and also in Lifetime category.